onsdag den 15. oktober 2014

New project!

So, the z80 system 2 project being on hold until i get a functioning EPROM burner, I've moved forward on another project: The COSMAC ELF.
Though I've made some hardware mods, it is functionally equivalent of the original ELF. My mods include: 

    - Changing the HEX display to binary LED's; way cheaper.
This mod was actually suggested in the original article.

          - Changed the two 4 bit 2101 RAM's for eight 1 bit 2102 ones.
I had them lying around and besides the "width" they're very similar. Furthermore, they're 1977 vintage - adds something to the design.

    - Sprung for another layout, not wirewrap 
Once again, I'm out of wrap wire, and I kinda wanted it to have more of a Altair 8800 / MIPS 8080 kinda look.

Here it is:

The 8 chips with dual round indents are the RAM.

I have redrawn the schematic into a more reader friendly form than the original, spreading it over 6 pages:
1) CPU and clock
2A) Original RAM
2B) My RAM
3) I/O logic
4) Display
5) Input
6) CPU control

Makes it much easier to debug and alter.

Anyway, so far, I've wired the processor control and power.
Buses are to come.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar